Locations of visitors to this page There and Back Again: Ukrainians Everywhere

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Ukrainians Everywhere

In Cincinnati, we ran into our friend Cathy Stafford in the airport. She told us that all of the Poltava children who had been hosted over Christmas were on the plane with us. Many of these children were in Birmingham last summer with us. When I got on the plane, I immediately saw Vitalik (Carter) and he lit up. Little Oksana (Holmes) ran up to me and gave me a bear hug. The kids seemed to be in good spirits despite leaving loved ones behind. They were with us all the way to Kiev.

Otherwise on the trip, Anderson and I settled into mature bahavior. We identified a man who looked like Autstin Powers (yeah, baby). Another man looked like Nacho Libre. We recited many movie lines and laughed.

We made it over just fine. I have never seen so much snow here. Fortunately for us, there is a heat wave moving through. The high today should hit 43. We will enjoy the weather for a couple of days before the thermometer moves south again.

We dropped our bags off and took to the streets of Kiev, our home away from home. Our facilitators have long ago learned to just let us go. They tell us where to be and when to be there and we just get it done. We grabbed lunch at "Be Healthy" before coming in here.

Tonight we will catch the 8:30 train down to Zap. Since tomorrow is Wednesday, I suspect we will somehow end up at an English lesson. I wish I could somehow get credit for all of the classroom time.

Otherwise, all is well with us.

Blessings,
Ande

No comments: