Locations of visitors to this page There and Back Again: Another Busy Day

Friday, January 16, 2009

Another Busy Day

Wow. We expected moderate activity yesterday, but what we got was more waiting...of all the nerve! We began by getting medical results from last time here, then off to another office to get more tests. Heat in this country can be turned off by a single switch, a-la the "soup nazi," but one must go to multiple sites to determine if he or she has anything contagious. What we found out is that Paula and I have a healthy bouncing 14 year old girl.

"Mayor" Nina proceeded to the passport office and we met her there. We gave 100 reasons why our passport should be processed first and they were SO amiable! They told us that the passport would be ready Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. Ashley got her picture made, then we went to our second trip across town to the notary. Ashley had to sign another document in front of them, President Yushenko, the Rada, and the Secretary of the U.N. The document said that even though she is our daughter, she is good with making the journey back to the U. S. I thought we covered that in court. I had a power of attorney document for Paula, but the notary came in and said that Paula would have to physically be here to sign. You can imagine my delight. I began to pray fervently. This was the first time this notary had done this procedure since (you guessed it) the new law change. They reluctantly decided to make the document, but they said "good luck" with it back at the passport office.

We had lunch at Politburo Cafe. It was an eclectic decor- Soviet era propoganda of the "good ole days," and Christmas cheer galore. Add in some American R & B, and you've got yourself one big oxymoron. Anyone over 30 would love to have seen this. I just sat and laughed. Nobody understood why, but that is nothing new for me.

We arrived at the passport office (did I mention fervent prayer all the way?). Yana took all the papers in and came out in seconds. I asked if everything was ok. She said "it's better than ok, the passport should be ready Saturday." Praise God for turning hearts and minds. Scripture talks of the Lord turning the hearts of rulers like the currents of the river. I was again reminded of the fact that people are watching and I have a testimony to live out before them. God has really given me peace throughout. It looks like we will be leaving on the night train to Kiev on Sunday. So if any of you are wanting that Zaporizhzhya keychain, I do not have a lot of time to hear from you.

Random thought of the day: You really have not lived until you have ridden on a perpetually bumpy Ukrainian road, in the back of a car, in the dark, with a hot cup of McDonald's coffee. Oleg called it "extreme coffee drinking."

Ashley has been really happy. She is not exactly showing a lot of curiosity about English, but she will wonder what we are all saying soon enough. God willing, we should make the Thursday trip home that I originally booked. Thanks for praying.

God Bless,
Ande

6 comments:

Paula Underwood said...

Daddy,
This is Lily. I think it was funny what Anderson said in his sleep. Tell him that I'm going to tell everybody! I am going to Savanna's house today. I really miss you and I want to go to Starbuck's with you. I love you so much.
Lily

Paula Underwood said...

Dear Dad, Anderson, and Ashley,
I miss you all. Can't wait for you to all come home. Dad, BTW, every time I see a Starbuck's cup or store, I remember to pray for you! I love and miss you all so much. I want to try "extreme" coffee drinking. Don't forget my Lion bar.
Love,
Noah

Paula Underwood said...

Hey everyone,
I love you and I miss you so much. I can't wait until you get home. I cleaned mine and Ashley's room. Tell Anderson that Lily folded his clothes for him. Don't forget to bring some 3 korichki for me.
Love,
Chris

Giann said...

What did Anderson say in his sleep?

Giann

Lexingtoncathys said...

Dear Andy,
What a gift it was to see you and your son in the airport. I had been
at the airport for several hours with the children and had just finished helping buckle them in
on the airplane when I saw you.
I can only imagine their faces when they saw you. How was my boy?
They made it back to Poltava safely. I was holing my breath reading this post, sure glad Paula didn't have to fly back!!!! Great
to see you are in the home stretch. It is also great to
hear of answered prayer. Cathy

Anderson said...

DO NOT tell what i said in my sleep. IDK what happened, but for the love of all that is good, DO NOT SAY IT.