Locations of visitors to this page There and Back Again: Can a Brother get a Shower Curtain?

Monday, January 19, 2009

Can a Brother get a Shower Curtain?

I have not been able to get online for a few days now, so I have to vent. There is not one single shower with a curtain in this country. Can anybody tell me why you would want to get into the shower and have water go EVERYWHERE?!? If I were again a lazy college student, I would see the benefit therein by not ever having to mop. But now I am afraid I am going to die by slipping and hitting my head on the counter. Is there a real MAN out there who would want to go this way? If I do not make it home, I have instructed Anderson to tell everyone I was hit by a marshutka while diving to save an orphan. (For those of you who do not understand my terminology, I say that you need to get over here.) My vision to save all of humanity is to become rich by selling shower curtains to every man, woman, and child in Ukraine. It may hurt the mop industry, but I do not care. It is for the greater good.

On a more serious note, we got the medical visit done today for the embassy. We also got the plane ticket for Ashley. We have to stop Thursday night in Atlanta, so we will be in Birmingham at 7:45am on Friday, Lord willing. We have the embassy visit tomorrow and should have the visa stamped on Wednesday. Please pray that the fingerprint issue has been cleared up for me.

We had lunch today with Nastya V., who was the translator in 2005. Paula and I have maintained a friendship with her and her new husband. When Ashley saw her, the moment was a bit overwhelming. So much has transpired since the two of them last spoke. It was a real blessing. Nastya still has pictures from that summer. I really blew it by not having a camera today. I still cannot believe that this adoption has come to pass.

Ashley, Anderson and I are slowly becoming accustomed to one another. It is plain to see that she is terrified of the unknown (who can blame her?), but she maintains that this is the new life she wants (shower curtain and all). Most of the time, I feel like a big dork. If anyone can give me a crash course on parenting a 14 year-old Russian-speaking girl, please call me at 1-800-MAN-LOST.

Ok, I will stop writing before you stop reading. Thanks for praying for us.

Blessings,
Ande

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Waverly and I (Marie) have been sitting here catching up on your blog on this fine holiday Monday and we have decided that we want to be your friends...not just "see you at worship and say hi" friends, but go to each other's houses, let the kids run wild, and eat each other's food kind of friends. Let's get together when you get back home no matter how crazy it is. Have a safe trip and we can't wait to meet Ashley! We are so happy and excited for Chris! I have to tell Harrison, he wasn't at worship yesterday.

The McEacherns said...

The best shower curtains in all of Ukraine can be found hanging in the top floor apartments of the Assemblies of God seminary. On our missions trips, they were our "5 Star" accomodations. Congrats on both of your praise reports! Wish I had found your blog earlier... great writing!

Ande and Paula Underwood said...

Hey sweetheart,
I just wanted to let you know that I saw shower curtains in the Metrograd mall. They are in the cookware store where I found your sugar dispenser. Where else would they be?
Love you and miss your,
Paula (Ande's wife)

Jennifer said...

this is so awesome. you need to write a book about your family's adventures! we are so excited you'll all be together soon!!

Dunham Family said...

I actually had a shower curtain in one hotel in Ukraine, but it was 2 feet from the wall so you had to use one hand to hold it off of your body and the other hand to hold the shower head. It was an acrobatic adventure. But I must admit, it was warmer than without a curtain. We pray for a speedy return. -David

Suzette said...

You can also buy them at Mega Market. Looking forward to yall coming home!

Ronda said...

I really needed a good laugh today! Thanks! We are so excited for you all and are praying safe travels today and tomorrow!